Now that my finals and my chapter at Cornell have come to a close, I have the chance to post some power meals in the making from this past week. Inspired by the Moosewood cookbook my mom gave me, I want to make some that would be both fresh and ready for summer. On my kale kick from the Kale Caesar Salad, I decided to indulge in a roasted vegetable flatbread, a perfect transition to warmer weather. Here’s the Kale, Asparagus & Cherry Tomato Flatbread.
- 5-7 cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
- 10-12 asparagus stalks, washed
- 2-3 c of kale, loosely pack, washed and “despined” (how to easily here)
- 1/4 c reduced fat mozzarella
- 1/4 c shaved parmesan
- 1 whole-wheat naan
- 1 t dried basil
- 2 T fresh basil, washed and chopped
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/2 t minced garlic
- 2 T light olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F.
- Toss cut and cleaned asparagus and cherry tomatoes in 1 T olive oil, salt and pepper, and garlic powder. Place cherry tomatoes and asparagus on cookie sheet and roast for 20 min. Toss and flip vegetables and put back in for 10-15 min until tender.
- As the vegetables roast in the oven, heat 1 T olive oil, minced garlic and dried basil in a large saucepan on medium heat.
- When the oil starts to sizzle, add in kale and sauté. Once wilted and barely browned, remove kale from heat.
- Remove asparagus from oven and cut stalks into thirds. Place on wholewheat naan. Top with roasted cherry tomatoes and kale. Place mozzarella and parmesan on top.
- Place flatbread under broiler until cheese begins to brown.
- Once done, top with fresh basil and enjoy!