I love thick, doughy pancakes, bagels or muffins, but it’s a love-hate relationship; great in the moment, but horrible once you’re stuffed before your day has even begun. These Banana Oat Pancakes are made from oatmeal, egg whites and bananas are a quick, delicious start to your morning. I’ve shown them above with pomegranate seeds and blueberries and the sauce is poached berries. Pair that with some grapefruit and coffee, and you’re good to go.
Ingredients (for two medium-large pancakes).
- 1 large, ripe banana
- 1 egg white (or sub a flax egg to be vegan)
- 1/3 c old-fashioned oats *
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1/8 t cinnamon (optional)
- Berries to top
- Maple syrup
*Note: for more protein, substitute 2 T of your favorite plant-based vanilla protein powder with 2 T almond flour and exclude oats.
- Mash ripe banana until smooth.
- Combine banana with egg whites, oats, cinnamon and vanilla. Mix well.
- You can also blender all the ingredients in a small blender for a smooth batter. If you prefer a chunky consistency, leave oats as is.
- Pour “batter” into hot skillet or frying pan on medium heat. Flip when egg whites around the edge of the pancake begin to firm and “fluff” up. Remove pancake when golden brown.
- Top with favorite maple syrup, fruit, or whatever you like. Also try Strawberry Rhubarb Compote (see last photo) or Poached Berries.
Banana Oat Pancakes topped with fresh strawberries, blackberries, pomegranate seeds and maple syrup.
Banana Oat Pancakes topped with Strawberry Rhubarb Compote, fresh blueberries & coconut flakes.