I love thick, doughy pancakes, bagels or muffins, but it’s a love-hate relationship; great in the moment, but horrible once you’re stuffed before your day has even begun. These Banana Oat Pancakes are made from oatmeal, egg whites and bananas are a quick, delicious start to your morning. I’ve shown them above with pomegranate seeds and blueberries and the sauce is poached berries. Pair that with some grapefruit and coffee, and you’re good to go.
Ingredients (for two medium-large pancakes).
- One large, ripe banana
- 1/4 c egg whites
- 1/3 c old-fashioned oats
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Dash of cinnamon
- Berries for topping (optional)
- Maple syrup (optional)
- Mash ripe banana until smooth.
- Combine banana with egg whites, oats, cinnamon and vanilla. Mix well.
- Pour “batter” into hot skillet or frying pan on medium heat. Flip when egg whites around the edge of the pancake begin to firm and “fluff” up. Remove pancake when golden brown.
- Top with favorite maple syrup, fruit, or whatever you like and enjoy!
You could also add walnuts, chocolate chips, or . . . The possibilities are endless. Just listen to some Jack Johnson for inspiration (song: “Banana Pancakes“).