These vegetable rolls are super spicy, but so delicious. They’re light and fresh with the mint and basil leaves, while being fiery and savory all at once. I tested them twice, and decided I like the version with the added avocado and cucumber much better than the original recipe. The cucumber gives an extra crunch, and the creaminess of the avocado balances the extreme kick from the sriracha chile sauce. As a snack, lunch or dinner, these vegetable rolls are easy and delicious — so much so you’ll be ready for more before they’re even finished!
Ingredients (makes 8 rolls; serving is 2-3 rolls depending on meal)
- Baby spinach leaves
- 1 c shredded carrots
- 1/2 red bell pepper, washed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, washed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, cut into three inch “eighths” (i.e. halve, quarter then cut again)
- 4 oz dried buckwheat soba noodles
- 1 ripe avocado pitted and sliced, (how to find ripe avocados here)
- 8 round rice papers (8″ diameter)
- 8 large leaves of fresh basil (or 1/4 c packed)
- 1/4 c fresh mint, packed
Spicy Chili Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 T Sriracha chili sauce
- 1 T fish oil (optional, but adds a tangy flavor)
- 1 T agave nectar
- 1/3 plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 t minced garlic or 1 clove
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the chili sauce. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, boil water. Once boiling, add the noodles and cook according to the packaging. Drain and rinse with cold water. place noodles on cutting board and cut into 2″ pieces.
- Add sliced bell peppers, carrots and noodles to yogurt sauce and toss until coated.
- Wash and slice the cucumbers. Set aside cucumber slices. Remove avocado pit from ripe avocado and slice lengthwise. Set aside avocado pieces.
- Wash fresh basil and mint leaves and remove stems. Set aside.
- Fill an 8+ inch pie pan with water. Soak one rice paper in water until softened — about 15-20 sec. Lay down a damp kitchen towel on a flat surface for your “assembling station.” Remove rice paper and place on damp towel.
- Add spinach leaves, fresh mint and fresh basil. Place herbs on top of spinach leaves. Top with one cucumber slice and one avocado slice of same length. Spoon about 1/4 c of noodle, carrot and pepper mixture on top. About 4-6 pepper slices per roll.
- Roll the rice paper up, following instructions on package. Be careful! The paper should be quite sticky at this point.
- Repeat “assembly” steps with the remaining ingredients.
- Serve with soy sauce (optional) and enjoy!
When I made these I second time, I kept the noodle, carrot, pepper mixture separate, and it was much easier (and faster) to assemble when pre-made. I made 4 at a time and saved 2 for the next day. I ate my “leftovers” within 24 hours to maintain freshness. I would recommend at least having everything washed and sliced beforehand so the assembly is efficient.