Farmer’s Market finds make the perfect salad. Upgrade your salad for something fresh, different and a little bit exciting. The walnuts and quinoa add crunch and texture to the salad, while the fresh mint, fizz kale, apples and strawberries add a layer of freshness and a straight-from-the-garden taste. Toss the ingredients together with some olive oil and white balsamic vinegar and viola! A deliciously upgraded summer salad.
Ingredients (makes 1 salad).
- 1 c fizz kale, washed, spines removed and chopped*
- 1/4 c fresh mint leaves, washed and loosely packed
- 1/4 c cooked red quinoa
- 5-6 medium strawberries, washed hulled and quartered
- 1/4 of a medium apple, thinly chopped
- 1/4 c shredded carrots
- 1-2 T chopped hazelnuts
- White balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
*NOTE: I’m not exactly sure what this type of kale is. The kale leaves were extremely thin and fine. I bought it at the Ithaca Farmer’s Market because it was great to sauté. It has a subtle taste — not as “green” as the more common curly kale, and cooks down like spinach.
- Chop mint leaves.
- Cook quinoa based on package’s directions.
- Combine chopped mint, quinoa, apples, carrots, strawberries, kale, and hazelnuts in medium-sized bowl. Toss salad.
- Drizzle with olive oil and white balsamic vinegar.
- Eat and enjoy!