Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Granola with Craisins is the perfect easy and delicious snack. I’ve never made granola with hazelnuts before, but the hazelnuts came out wonderfully toasted; chopped walnuts also work quite well, and are usually my go-t0 nut to add in. The mini dark chocolate chips gives you just enough of your chocolate fix without being overwhelming. With some many options for nuts, dried fruit and spices, you can experiment with what works best with the season or for you. I made this last fall and have been hooked ever since. You can make the granola in bulk and be happily snacking for the rest of the week!
Ingredients (serves 8).
- 2 c old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 c hazelnuts
- 1/3 c slivered almonds
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1/2 t sea salt
- 1/2 c maple syrup
- 1/4 c water
- 1 T neutral oil
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 c mini Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 c dried cranberries (unsweetened or low sugar preferred)
NOTE: the basic format is oats, nuts and the liquid mixture. The original recipe called for 1/2 c shredded, unsweetened dried coconut and 1/4 c flaxseed. However, I omitted them for the addition of a second type of nut. Add any nuts you want, such as walnuts, cinnamon almonds, pecans, etc. In the fall, I’ll add pumpkin spice instead of nutmeg, along with pumpkin seeds and dried apples. Dried cherries, blueberries or mango are all delicious additions or substitutions. If you choose to add chocolate, I’ve found the “normal-sized” chocolate chips sometimes overwhelm the overall flavor.
- Preheat oven to 275° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper (preferred) or foil. Lightly spray with a vegetable oil cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, almonds, hazelnuts, sea salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together maple syrup, water, canola oil and vanilla. Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients, and mix well to ensure that the dry ingredients are evenly coated.
- Pour the mixture onto the lightly greased baking sheet and spread mixture out in an even layer.
- Bake for about 40-45 min. Flip the mixture so all sides of the granola can evenly bake. Continue baking for 30-40 min. or until the granola is uniformly crisp.
- Stir in craisins or other dried fruit. Top with mini chocolate chips. The chocolate chips will begin to melt. Transfer to a covered container and let cool in the fridge. This allows the chocolate to melt and “blend” with the granola.
- Store and enjoy!