I had this Apple, Spinach, Cucumber & Mint Smoothie on a sunny, 86° day. Before you write this off for its quite green color, try this hydrating drink on a hot, summer day. I originally made this with kale, more celery and no mint, and it tasted like I was drinking grass; the smoothie turned out waaaay too green. However, baby spinach has a much milder taste, and the mint added a fresh kick. When I make this again, I would add frozen banana instead of the yogurt. This was a different take and a welcomed departure from the classic fruit smoothie. Before you dismiss the green smoothie for its color, give it a try!
Ingredients (makes 1 smoothie).
- 1/2 large apple (like Gala or Fuji), cored and peeled
- 1/4 medium cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1/4 c packed spinach
- 2 inch small celery stalk, chopped
- 5-6 mint leaves
- 1/2 frozen banana (–or– 2 generous spoonfuls of nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt for dairy option)
- 1/4 c water (or coconut water!)
- 3-4 large ice cubes
- Chop apple and cucumber into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Combine all ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer smoothie to a glass and enjoy!