This “green” ravioli is a break from the standard marinara sauce, pesto or Alfredo sauce. I made this two ways: 1) sautéed the vegetables, placed them over arugula and tossed everything with white balsamic vinegar and then 2) sautéed the whole mix — all vegetables, arugula and white balsamic included. I preferred the first; the taste of both the arugula and the white balsamic was more prominent. The chicken marsala ravioli had enough flavor of its own that there was no need to any a “sauce”; instead, the flavors from the vegetables worked on their own and were enhanced by the acidity of the white balsamic. All that green may look intimidating, but Ravioli with an Arugula, Kale & Craisin Salad is absolutely delicious!
Ingredients (makes 2-3 servings).
- 1 package of Chicken Marsala Ravioli like ravioli by Buitoni (or ravioli of your choice)
- 1 medium zucchini, washed and grated
- 1 c shredded carrots
- 1 c shelled edamame, steamed
- 5-6 large leaves of kale, washed with stems removed*
- 1/4 c craisins
- 4 c arugula
- 1/2 t minced garlic and chopped onion to sauté
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T white balsamic vinegar
- Black pepper to top (optional)
*NOTE: I purchased this “fizz kale” from the local Ithaca Farmer’s Market. The kale leaves were extremely thin and fine and it was great to sauté. It has a subtle taste — not as “green” as the more common curly kale, and cooks down like spinach. Also used here in my Upgrade Your ‘Salad’ post.
- Cook ravioli according to package instructions.
- Sauté garlic and onion in 1 T olive oil in medium saucepan.
- Grate the zucchini and add to pan to sauté. Add carrots.
- Finely chop kale and add to zucchini/carrot mixture to sauté. Cook all vegetables until tender. Remove from heat.
- Steam edamame according to package.
- Toss edamame, sautéed vegetables and cooked ravioli with 1 T olive oil and 2 T white balsamic — or the amount of balsamic according to your own preference. (I tend to like more balsamic than the average person, but I enjoy the crispness and the acidity that the vinegar offers.)
- Top with craisins and black pepper. Enjoy!
This would also be delicious with some freshly shaved parmesan cheese. I would probably add this next time I make it!