Guacamole is an instant crowd-pleaser, and it’s so easy to make! This recipe allows the natural creaminess of the avocados to speak for itself without any added sour cream, yogurt or mayo; homemade guacamole smooth and rich enough as is. The fresh ingredients add enough flavor without overwhelming the guacamole as a whole. This pairs perfectly with your favorite salsa and some blue corn tortilla chips, multigrain tortilla chips or sweet potato chips. This fresh guacamole is so good, you’ll never spend money on that store-bought stuff again!
- 3-4 ripe avocados, halved, pitted, and scooped out (how to find ripe avocados here)
- 1/8 c fresh cilantro, loosely packed and finely chopped
- About 8-10 cherry tomatoes, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1/8 to 1/4 c red onion, finely chopped
- Fresh lime juice from 1/4 of a lime
- Red pepper, chili pepper, sriracha or jalapeño pepper
- Sea salt to taste
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- Blue tortilla chips, multigrain tortilla chips or sweet potato chips (options for chips)
NOTE: put in the ingredients and their proportions in as you would like. Not all people are a fan of cilantro, onions or tomatoes. You also know your own spice level and add peppers accordingly; use red pepper flakes over sriracha if you don’t want a dish with overwhelming heat. This recipe can be your base, and you can add what you’d like to make it interesting (i.e. a sweet guac with mango or pineapple or one with a Thai infusion). All of my proportions are estimations; I usually measure the ingredients based on the color and taste of the final dish.
- In a large bowl, mash ripe avocados with a potato masher until all large chucks are removed, and the mixture is homogenous and smooth. (How to find ripe avocados here.)
- Mix in chopped cilantro, onions, and tomatoes to the mashed avocados, as well as the spicy pepper of your choice.
- Stir in fresh lime juice.
- Taste the guacamole and add in desired amount of salt and pepper. If it’s too acidic from the lime juice, the addition of salt will help balance this. If needed, add more lime juice until you taste the hint of citrus.
- Serve with blue tortilla chips, multigrain tortilla chips or sweet potato chips and pair with your favorite salsa. Enjoy!