Poached Berries are great — so easy to make, full of flavor, and can be made ahead of time. Another recipe my mom showed me (thanks, Mom!). The berries are especially tasty because by poaching them, you remove the hassle of washing each serving and decrease the time fresh berries will perish; instead, everything’s done in one step and viola! fresh berry sauce for days. Based on my new obsession with chia seeds and breakfast bowls, poached berries paired with overnight oats and chia seeds seemed like a natural combination. Poached berries are perfect to top oatmeal for breakfast or Greek yogurt for a snack or dessert. Try this berry sauce for yourself and discover the enormous flavor behind poached berries!
Ingredients (serves 8).
- 1 bag or about 10 oz. of frozen mixed berries, such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries & blackberries
- 1 bag or about 10 oz. of frozen cherries, pitted
- 1-2 T agave nectar (more may be needed depending on the berries’ tartness)
NOTE: you can use fresh fruit instead of frozen. If you use fresh fruit, use 4-5 cups of your desired berries. However, frozen fruit is easier to use up and store until you decide to make the berries, and something you can always have on hand in your freezer.
- If using frozen berries, thaw according to package directions. (However, if you forget this skip or are short on time, you can place frozen berries directly into the saucepan. Just pay extra attention, add a dash of water to prevent burning and don’t forget to stir!)
- In a medium saucepan, combine thawed berries and agave nectar over high heat. Stir.
- Once barely boiling, reduce heat to a simmer. Stir.
- Cook the fruit mixture for 8-10 min., until the fruit is tender and soft, but not disintegrated.
- Remove from heat. Allow mixture to both cool and slightly thicken before serving.
- Store in a covered container for up to one week.
Recipe from “Breakfast Bulgar Wheat with Poached Mixed Berries” in Giada’s Feel Good Food.
Poached Berries with Banana Oat Pancakes & fresh fruit.
Poached Berries topping the Banana, Vanilla Almond Milk & Chia Seed Breakfast Bowl along with fresh fruit.