I hope everyone trusts me on this: these Fudgy Black Bean Brownies were surprisingly delicious — so simple and very delicious. They’re so dense, they’re almost like fudge. Our family friend, Cathy, has made black bean brownies before, and since she’s the queen of all things chocolate and desserts, I decided to give these a try. It’s worth using a brownie mix because you can substitute the eggs, oil and water for a can of pureed black beans. If you’re trying to eat vegan or are baking for vegan friends, this a great recipe to share with them. These brownies would even be a perfect snack for that chocolate craving you’re having. The black bean brownies are thick, extremely fudgy and dense, and almost guilt-free. (Not quite, but at least there’s added protein! Also great with pumpkin puree — Pumpkin Brownies. May sound weird, but you can’t knock them until you try them.)
Ingredients (makes about 16-20 brownies; serving is 1 brownie).
- 15 oz can of black beans, reduced sodium
- 1 box of brownie mix, such as Ghirardelli Chocolate Supreme
- 1/2 c of mini Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips (optional)
NOTE: you can make your own brownies from scratch. Just omit butter, eggs and/or oil.
- Preheat oven to temperature designated by brownie mix. Grease an 8×8 or a 9×9 pan.
- Drain and rinse black beans. Place beans back in original can and fill to the top with water. Transfer black beans to blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add pureed black beans to brownie mix INSTEAD OF eggs, oil and water — do NOT add!!
- Through mix black beans and brownie mix until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips (optional).
- Transfer batter to greased pan. Bake according to package directions.
- Let cool before serving and enjoy!