I’ve been waiting for the leaves to change to resurrect this healthy and colorful Baby Kale, Sweet Potato & Apple Salad. The acidity of the fresh lemon juice and tartness of the dijon mustard both pair well with kale’s heartiness. The crisp apple, sweet potato and creamy delicata squash also somehow diminish and enhance the earthy and sometimes bitter flavors of kale. I’ve made this with curly kale, dinosaur kale or baby kale. I prefer baby kale for the milder taste. No matter the type of kale used, the subtle flavors in the salad and the crunch added by the walnuts create a salad you’ll want again and again.
Ingredients (serves 2).
For the Salad:
- 4 c baby kale, washed and long stems removed (chopped curly or dinosaur kale also works)
- 1/3 c delicata squash, cooked with skin on (instructions here)
- 1 sweet potato, washed
- 1/2 Gala apple, cored and thinly sliced
- Handful of chopped walnuts
- Salt and pepper (optional)
For the Dressing:
- Fresh lemon juice from 2 lemon wedges
- 1-2 T light olive oil
- 1 t dijon mustard
- Salt and peper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook delicata squash according to directions here.
- Cut sweet potato into small, 1″ cubes or smaller. Place on baking sheet and roast for 10 min. Toss potatoes halfway through. If cooking delicata squash, add now. Continue roasting for an additional 10 min or until potatoes and squash are tender and cooked through.
- While vegetables are roasting, mix ingredients for salad dressing. Set aside.
- Remove cooked vegetables and allow to slightly cool. Cut delicata squash into about 1/2 inch cubes.
- Place baby kale in a large bowl. Top with thinly sliced apple, roasted potato, cubed delicata squash, and walnuts.
- Lightly spoon dressing over salad.
- Optional: serve warm by either sautéing kale or warming entire salad.
- Serve and enjoy!
Gala apples and delicata squash bought and grown locally at Wallingford’s Orchard.