Spaghetti squash is my go-to cold weather meal. With the cool days moving in and socks and sweaters becoming abundant, a fall twist on your favorite and classic pasta dish is in order. To celebrate a “Meatless Monday,” I’ve added cannellini beans for protein, and butternut squash to utilize another fall favorite. Throw in your other favorite veggies, top with the marinara sauce of your choice and you have a light but hearty and savory meal! Thank you, rosemary, for this Fall Vegetable “Spaghetti.”
Ingredients (serves 1-2).
- 1-2 t light olive oil
- 1/2 t minced garlic
- 1/2 tomato, diced
- 1/4 red and orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/3 c sliced carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 c butternut squash, cubed
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 c spaghetti squash, cooked (how to easily cook here)
- 1/3 c cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 c baby spinach, loosely packed
- Marinara sauce of choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh shaved parmesan (optional)
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large saucepan or wok, sauté tomatoes, garlic, and olive oil. Add in chopped peppers, carrots and zucchini. Cook until tender.
- Meanwhile, place uncooked butternut squash cubes in a microwavable dish, add some water, and cover. Microwave on high until tender.
- Add cooked spaghetti squash, fresh chopped rosemary, Cannellini beans and cooked butternut squash.
- Fold in baby spinach and cook until barely wilted.
- Top spaghetti mixture with marinara sauce of your choice. Cook for about 1-2 min so marinara sauce is hot, and vegetables are firmly coated in the sauce.
- Top with red pepper flakes and fresh shaved parmesan (optional).
- Serve and enjoy!