What a simple, easy, delicious side and most importantly, a new classic. This is one of the main recipes in my arsenal that I repeatedly use; it goes with anything and everything — substitute for pasta, pairs well with fish, chicken sausage, chicken, turkey meatballs . . . The Spicy Garlic Sautéed Kale & Spinach gives you some of your daily dose of greens and adds color and flavor to any plate. Can’t deny that, right?
Ingredients (serves 4).
- 4 large kale leaves, washed and despond (see how to easily remove stems here) *
- 2 c loosely packed baby spinach, washed *
- 2 t light olive oil
- 1 t minced garlic
- Red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
*NOTE: I add the kale and spinach in handfuls, so the exact amounts are estimates. You always use more than you think! Both cook down quite a bit.
- Once the spine is removed from kale (directions here), chop the kale into about 1 inch pieces.
- Over medium heat, add olive oil and garlic. Do not burn garlic! Continue to stir until the olive oil begins to crackle.
- Once sizzling, add in kale. Sauté until the oil is distributed. Continue “mixing” the kale and spinach to prevent burning.
- Add in baby spinach. Sauté spinach and kale mixture until spinach just begins to wilt.
- Add in a couple “shakes” of red pepper flakes. You can add these earlier, but the earlier they’re add, the spicier it gets. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.