Ohh, these are tasty. So tasty, in fact, that I couldn’t stop myself from grabbing one while they cooled. And one more, and maybe just another… The kitchen smells heavenly while these Spiced Almonds, Pecans & Cashews bake. Another winning recipe from the brilliant culinary mind of Giada De Laurentiis in her cookbook, Giada’s Feel Good Food, the unusual mixture of spices creates a sweet, yet savory combo that anyone is sure to enjoy.
Ingredients (makes 12 servings of ¼ c).
- 1 c almonds, raw or lightly salted
- 1 c cashews, raw or lightly salted
- 1 c pecans, raw or lightly salted
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 T curry
- 1 ½ t ground cumin
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1/8 t cayenne pepper
- 1/2 t ground cardamom
- 1/4 t ground cinnamon
NOTE: you can really use any type of nuts here: hazelnuts, walnut, macadamia, pistachio, sunflower, pumpkin seeds . . .
- Preheat the oven to 250ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly grease with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg white until frothy. Then stir in all three types of nuts and mix until well coated.
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar and spices. In tablespoon increments, add in spice mixture to nuts and egg whites. Toss nuts until spices are distributed. Continue adding in spices until nuts are well coated. (I used about 1/2 to 2/3 of the spice mixture. Put in a sealed container to use the next time you make this!)
- Transfer spiced nuts to the baking sheet and spread out in a single layer.
- Bake nuts for about 45 min. or until golden and fragrant (they smell so good!).
- Allow nuts to cool for about 1 hour.