I wanted something that was filling, healthy but still sweet for breakfast. I saw a recipe for this apple pie oatmeal on Instagram. Why not slowly detox from the Holidays? The chia seeds and oatmeal add substance and protein, while the apples add fiber and vitamin C, and we’ll all need some extra vitamin C to combat the cold and flu season upon us. Another tasty way to transform an ordinary bowl of oatmeal to Apple Pie Oatmeal.
Ingredients (makes 1 serving).
- 1/2 c old-fashioned oats
- 2 t chia seeds (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 t apple pie spice -or- make your own spice which yields four servings:
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1/8 t ground cloves
- 1/8 t ground ginger
- 2-3 T no sugar added applesauce
- 1/2 of an apple, washed, cored and cubed
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk or milk of choice
- Walnuts or nuts for topping (optional)
- Agave nectar or sweetener of choice (optional)
- Cinnamon sugar (optional)
- In a food processor or small blender, combine oats, spices, salt and chia seeds (optional). Blend until a flour-like consistency begins to form.
- To the pulverized oats, add vanilla, applesauce, 1/4 of the apple, cubed (with the skin on is fine) and almond milk or milk of choice. Blend until well mixed.
- Transfer oatmeal to a microwavable bowl and top with the remaining pieces of cubed apple. Heat the oatmeal on 50% power for 1 min and 30 sec. If not warm enough, heat for an additional 30 sec on high power. If the consistency is too thick, add more almond milk.
- Top with chopped walnuts. Lightly drizzle oatmeal with agave nectar and/or dust with cinnamon sugar.