Oh my goodness. I’m never buying ice cream again. Saving gift cards to Sur la table from my birthday and Christmas, I’ve had my eye on an ice cream maker since Halloween. Add in post-Christmas sales and free shipping, and I think this Cuisinart Classic White Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker was a steal just under $50. It didn’t break the bank, it was so unbelievably easy to use, and all you really have to do is plan ahead to ensure appropriate freezing time for the freezer bowl. Naturally, I made a classic vanilla ice cream, but had to give it a non-fast twist. Using skim milk and fat free half & half, the vanilla ice cream didn’t lose any of its creaminess or flavor. I added in Madagascar vanilla extract for a richer and stronger flavor and some agave nectar to cut the refined sugar. How great is it to have only 6 ingredients in your ice cream and to know where every one comes from? I think that is worth celebrating on its own. Enjoy your homemade Fat-Free Madagascar Vanilla Ice Cream!
Ingredients (serves 10).
- 1 ½ c skim milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/4 c light agave nectar
- 1 ½ c fat free half & half
- 1 T Madagascar vanilla extract
NOTE: Since making this, I’ve also used light cream instead of fat free half and half and just a 1/2 c agave instead of agave with sugar. It’s still delicious and loses none of the flavor. That way, you can use more natural and less processed ingredients!
- In a medium bowl, whisk milk, salt sugar and light agave by hand or with a mixer until the sugar fully dissolves.
- Add in fat free half & half and vanilla. Mix well.
- Refrigerate milk mixture for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Transfer chilled milk mixture to an ice cream maker and mix for 15-20 min.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!