This oatmeal just seemed right on a cold winter morning. (It was snowing today and 7ºF out.) A peanut butter and banana combination was maybe just what I needed. I wanted a heartier-than-normal oatmeal, so I opted for steel-cut oats instead of old-fashioned for a change. Swirl in some whipped, fluffier peanut butter along with cinnamon and top with a caramelized, gooey banana. The end result? My newest oatmeal creation — Peanut Butter & Cinnamon Oatmeal with Caramelized Banana.
Ingredients (makes 1 serving).
For the Oatmeal:
- 1/2 c steel-cut oats
- 1 T chia seeds (optional)
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 3/4 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk or milk of choice
- 2-3 t whipped peanut butter or any nut butter of your choice
- Cinnamon sugar to top (optional)
- Golden raisins to top (optional)
For the Caramelized Banana:
- Half of one banana, mashed
- In a food processor or small blender, combine oats, cinnamon, salt and chia seeds (optional). Blend until a flour-like consistency begins to form.
- Add vanilla, peanut butter, and almond milk or milk of choice to the oats. Blend until well mixed.
- Transfer oatmeal to a microwavable bowl and top with the remaining pieces of cubed apple. Heat the oatmeal on 50% power for 1 min and 30 sec. If not warm enough, heat for an additional 30 sec on high power. If the consistency is too thick, add more almond milk.
- Top with the caramelized banana (directions here — or heat the mashed banana in the microwave for about 30 sec or until banana is gooey and “melted”).
- Lightly dust with cinnamon sugar and top with golden raisins (both optional).