Mmmm, this Butternut Squash Risotto with Parmesan, Peas, & Shrimp is delicious. What a wonderful winter (and gluten-free) dish. While time-consuming to make, it’s really not all that difficult. This would be easy, yet an impressive dish to serve when entertaining. Risotto is also so easy to add a twist to make it your own. You can make it meatless, add chicken, kale, zucchini, lobster, pancetta, mushrooms, asparagus, broccoli, pumpkin, shaved Brussels sprouts . . . and the list goes on. The key to making a good risotto is to add the broth hot so it takes less time to heat, to continue adding broth for the rice to absorb and to stir constantly. This makes the rice plump, decadent and a perfect dish.
Ingredients (serves 8).
- 2 T light olive oil
- 1/2 c onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 c matchstick carrots
- 1/2 t minced garlic
- 2 c Arborio rice
- 1/2 c dry white wine
- 8 c chicken broth, homemade
- 2 c baby spinach, finely chopped
- 1 c frozen peas
- 2 c butternut squash, roasted and cubed
- 1 zucchini, quartered and finely sliced
- 1/3 to 1/2 c parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper
- In a large pot, sauté oil, garlic and onions until onions are translucent. Add rice and stir constantly for about 2 min. Add white wine and continue to stir.
- Heat chicken broth so it’s steaming. In 1-2 c increments, add hot chicken broth to rice and extra white wine (if needed) while stirring constantly over medium heat. Once the broth is absorbed, continue adding hot broth as needed. Continue cooking until the rice is cooked through, but still al dente, about 30 min.
- While the risotto cooks, preheat the oven to 400ºF. Cook shrimp on a foil-lined baking sheet for about 6-7 min. or until pink and fully cooked through. Set aside.
- Stir in spinach and mix until beginning to wilt. Mix in butternut squash, peas, salt. Add black pepper to taste.
- Remove the pan from heat, stir in shrimp and Parmesan cheese. Mix well and serve.
- Top with finely chopped parsley and red pepper (optional).
- Serve hot and enjoy!