This Mint Chocolate Oatmeal was refreshingly different and a cool take. It’s most likely something I won’t eat daily for breakfast, but I think this would be a fun Saturday morning breakfast during the holidays. The beauty of using steel cut oats is that you don’t need to blend the oats for a smoother consistency and they give a heartier feel to the oatmeal. I added applesauce to help cut the cacao powder and mint and to give the oatmeal some more “fruit.” The strawberries complemented the chocolate and mint flavors perfectly. I made the Mint Chocolate Oatmeal in honor of the blizzard Juno: something hearty and definitely cozy, but could still give you a chill.
Ingredients (serves 1).
- 1/2 c steel cut oats
- 1 t cacao powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 t peppermint extract (depending on how minty you’d like it)
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1 T chia seeds (optional)
- 1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk or milk of choice
- Agave nectar or sweetener of choice
- 4 medium strawberries, washed and sliced
- Combine all dry ingredients in a microwavable bowl and mix well. Add vanilla, peppermint, applesauce and almond milk or milk of choice to the oats and stir until evenly mixed. For a smoother consistency, blend ingredients in a small food processor or a small blender.
- Transfer oatmeal to a microwavable bowl. Heat the oatmeal on 50% power for 1 min and 30 sec. If not warm enough, heat for an additional 30 sec on high power. If the consistency is too thick, add more almond milk.
- Top with sliced strawberries.
- Lightly drizzle with agave or sweetener of choice.
2 thoughts on “Add a Chill to Your Morning”
Annie, this looks incredible! Oatmeal is my breakfast of choice, so I’ll have to try this version asap. PS, I nominated you for the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award because you’re amazing! You can find the instructions on my blog page : https://pumpkinandpeanutbutter.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=1276&action=edit&message=6&postpost=v2
Thank you on all accounts!! I’l be sure to check it out :)