I’ve always wanted to make a coconut milk latte. I’ve been saving some coconut milk for that random occasion. This latte was super mild and the perfect mid-afternoon pick-me-up during the snow flurries today. To add to that, Alex, my roommate last year from Cornell, sent me a care package back in the fall of things from the Ithaca Farmer’s Market — my favorite place. In her package, she tossed in vanilla chai tea, and it’s absolutely delicious. It’s spiced, but not too spiced with just the right amount of vanilla. That tea paired with the coconut milk was just beckoning to be used. I made this two ways: one with coffee (on the top) and one with tea (on the bottom). Choose whichever you like, but enjoy sipping on a cup of Coconut Milk Chai Tea Latte to warm up on a cold afternoon.
Ingredients (serves 2).
- 1 ½ c coconut milk, light or regular (I used light)
- 1 T agave nectar
- 1 t Madagascar vanilla extract
- 1 cinnamon stick –OR– 1 t cinnamon extract
- 2 chai tea bags of choice
- 2/3 c water, divided
- Cinnamon to garnish (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat coconut milk, cinnamon stick, agave and vanilla extract over medium heat.
- In two mugs, divide water. Heat 1/3 c water until boiling and then steep chai tea bags. (If desired, you can also brew the same amount of strong coffee.)
- Evenly divide the heated coconut milk mixture between the two mugs. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon is desired.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
3 thoughts on “Going Nuts for a Coconut Chai Latte”
Love this combination of flavors!
Thanks!! It wasn’t as strong as say a chai from Starbucks but it was still a perfect way to warm up