Banana Bread Oatmeal sounded absolutely delicious for breakfast while stuck in snowy Boston. The sliced bananas cook directly in the oatmeal and transform into something sweet and gooey. No extra sweetener needed for this one. Top with fresh fruit like blueberries, cinnamon covered almonds and dried cranberries for a hearty breakfast. I made this last week during yet another snow storm in Boston. Great week to move, right?
Ingredients (serves 2).
- 1/2 c steel cut oats
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1 T chia seeds (optional)
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1 banana
- 1/2 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk or milk of choice
- Cinnamon almonds to top
- Blueberries or fresh fruit to top
- Reduced sugar craisins to top
- Combine all oats, chia seeds and cinnamon in a microwavable bowl and mix well.
- Add vanilla extract and almond milk or milk of choice to the oats and stir until evenly mixed.
- Slice the banana and mix the slices directly into the oatmeal. For a smoother consistency, blend ingredients in a small food processor or a Magic Bullet.
- Transfer oatmeal to a microwavable bowl. Heat the oatmeal on 50% power for 1 min and 30 sec. If not warm enough, stir and heat for an additional 30 sec on high power. You may need to heat longer depending on the type of oats used. If the consistency is too thick, add more almond milk.
- Top with fresh blueberries, cinnamon almonds and craisins.