Happy Meatless Monday, everyone! I found another winning dish on Pinterest: Coconut Curry Vegetables with Brown Rice. I’ve never made anything with curry and coconut milk, but I’m so glad I did. The coconut milk gives a creaminess and subtle flavor to complement the spices in the vindaloo curry. It’s hot and spicy, complex and creamy all in one bite. Toss in the vegetables and you’re good to go. I found this article on Time last week about why Indian food is so delicious. (Ok, so this isn’t Indian per se, but it still embodies that complex flavor profile that we know and love.) I knew it was a sign — I just had to make this.
Ingredients (serves 4).
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 c cauliflower, frozen
- 1 medium sweet potato, washed
- 1 T vindaloo curry, heaping and more to taste (I added more)
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 can diced tomatoes, no salt added and drained
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and washed
- 4 c baby spinach
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 c brown rice
- Cilantro, chopped to top (not shown, but I didn’t have any on hand)
- Cook brown rice according to package directions.
- Pierce the cleaned sweet potato with a fork and pop in the microwave for 3 min. Remove and cut into small pieces. Set aside.
- Thaw frozen cauliflower in microwave according to package directions.
- In a large wok or saucepan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Sauté onion, sweet potato, and cauliflower until tender and browned. Add vindaloo curry and toss the vegetables.
- Add coconut milk, tomatoes and chickpeas. Bring the mixture to a boil and then allow to simmer. Fold in spinach.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve as is, with quinoa, brown or basmati rice. Top with chopped cilantro if you have some (I wish I did).