I saw this recipe on Skinny Taste at the end of last fall and I was a bit skeptical. Quinoa, at least red quinoa, has that bitter taste to it. I wasn’t sure how it would perform as a breakfast dish. I think we can all agree I’ve explored the oatmeal and steel-cut oats options quite thoroughly, so I thought why not give it a try? Plus, it’s a different gluten-free breakfast option. Cutting the quinoa directly in almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon and agave could the quinoa a different twist from its bitter profile. Add fresh fruit and bam! The Vanilla Quinoa Breakfast Bowls were born.
Ingredients (serves 2).
- 1/3 c quinoa, dry
- 2/3 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk plus extra (optional) or milk of choice
- 1/8 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t vanilla
- 1 t agave nectar or sweetener of choice to taste
- Berries to top
- Cook the quinoa in the almond milk along with the cinnamon, vanilla and agave. Stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 15 min. or until milk cooks off, still stirring on and off. Be careful not to burn!
- Fluff quinoa with a fork. Divide evenly between two bowls.
- Top with fresh berries, like strawberries, blueberries and pomegranate seeds (how to easily remove the seeds here). If you want a thinner consistency, add extra warmed almond milk.
- Serve hot (or cold) and enjoy!