This Ginger Oatmeal with Lemon Zest seemed decadently different. I have a lot of fresh ginger kicking around from making Cranberry Orange Tea with Ginger and the peanut sauce for the Asian Peanut Zucchini Noodles. Freshly grated ginger is a bit stringy, so I used a combination of ground and fresh ginger to get the taste. The lemon zest adds a bright flavor and then topped with blueberries and juicy pomegranate seeds and your tastebuds won’t know what hit them.
Ingredients (serves 2).
- 1/2 c steel-cut oats
- 1/16 to 1/8 t ground ginger
- 1 T chia seeds (optional)
- 1/8 t lemon zest
- 1/8 t finely grated ginger
- 1/2 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk or milk of choice
- Agave nectar or sweetener of choice to taste
- Fresh blueberries to top
- Pomegranate seeds to garnish (how to easily remove seeds here)
- In a microwavable bowl, combine oats, ginger — fresh and ground, lemon zest, chia seeds (optional) and mix well. Pour almond milk over oats.
- Heat the oatmeal according to package directions. I usually heat in the microwave on 50% power for 3 min. If not warm enough, stir and heat for an additional 2 min. on high power. You may need to heat longer depending on the type of oats used (steel-cut vs old-fashioned).
- Let cool.
- Top with fresh berries like blueberries and pomegranate seeds and extra fresh ginger and lemon zest if desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!