I just came home from a long weekend in the Sunshine State, where I had the most delicious honey mango and a southwestern-inspired salad; although two separate events, the pair seemed like they could go well together. Thus, I give you Beans & Quinoa with Mango Salsa. A quick, simple spin on traditional Beans & Rice, but packed with flavor: sweet from the mango salsa, fresh from the chopped cilantro and spicy from the red pepper. Top over quinoa, black beans and avocado and you’d never know you only used six ingredients for the tastiest bowl. (You can even scoop it all up with some tortilla chips for a crunch.)
Ingredients (serves 2).
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drains and rinsed
- 1 c quinoa, cooked
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 c mango salsa, chilled
- Fresh cilantro, washed and finely chopped
- Red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- In two bowls, put 1/2 c cooked quinoa in each bowl and evenly divide black beans.
- Divide diced avocados and salsa between both bowls.
- Top with as much fresh cilantro as you wish. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes for a kick.
- Serve and enjoy!