It’s may not be chili weather, but there’s still some cool nights ahead. This White Bean Chili with Sweet Potato & Turkey is a break from tradition. It’s still hearty, but lighter than it’s traditional counter-part. The chili powder and cayenne pepper add some heat, while the cilantro and lime juice give the chili a refreshing twist. The flavors all come bursting together for a bright bowl on a cool, spring evening. (Now just pair this with a Four Ingredient Margarita for a true fiesta.)
Ingredients (serves 8).
- 2 c dried white beans *
- 4 c chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 large sweet potato, washed
- 2 t light olive oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 t cumin
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 t dried cilantro
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 T fresh cilantro, chopped to garnish (optional — not shown)
* NOTE: if soaking beans overnight sounds daunting, you can use 2 cans (15 oz. each) of white beans, drained and rinsed. Then, you can just skip Steps 1-2 and have fun dumping everything in a pot and watching it cook!
- Soak the white beans overnight or for at least 4 hours in 6 c water. Drain.
- In a large pot with fresh 4-6 c water, bring the beans to a boil and then simmer for 30-40 min or until beans are tender. Remove from heat and drain water.
- Pierce cleaned sweet potato all over with a fork. Place on microwavable plate. Microwave on high for 3-4 min., rotate so the part that was on the plate is facing up and microwave for an addition 3-4 min. Allow sweet potato to cool while beans are cooking. Once cool enough to touch, chop into large chunks. Set aside.
- While beans are cooking, cook ground turkey in skillet or large frying pan over medium heat. Add spices (chili powder, cumin, dried cilantro, garlic, cayenne pepper) and can of diced tomatoes — do not drain! Reduce everything to low heat.
- In the same large pot, combine beans, cooked turkey with spices, tomatoes, potato chunks and broth.
- Add salt to taste.
- Garnish each bowl with a lime wedge for fresh lime juice and top with fresh cilantro (optional — not shown, but I wish I had some!).
- Serve hot and enjoy!