Real Simple hit the nail on the head. I saw this recipe and brilliant idea for an updated beans and rice and really wanted to try their take. Plus, I never had reasons to like steak and this seemed like it could be one. Steak, Beans & “Rice” with a Fresh Tomatillo Salsa. I swapped rice for cauliflower rice for a lighter take — super easy! Grab a mini food processor and you easy have salsa and cauliflower rice; two for one. (Quinoa would be a great substitute for rice as well.) I’ve never worked with tomatillos before let alone had one and now I can’t to have them again. The salsa is tart, light, but not too sour all in one. I added some cherry tomatoes to lighten the flavor and add some vibrancy. Grill the steak instead for a colorfully light summer dish. Pair with a Four Ingredient Margarita and you have a dinner sure to impress.
Ingredients (serves 4).
For the Tomatillo Salsa:
- 3-4 tomatillos, husked and washed
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes, washed
- 1 T fresh lime juice
- 1/8 to 1/4 c fresh cilantro, washed (plus more to garnish)
For the Steak, Beans & “Rice”:
- Cauliflower, 1 bag frozen
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 t canola oil
- 1/2 t minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. flank steak
- 4 lime wedges to garnish
- Thaw cauliflower according to package. In a food processor, pulverize until “rice-like” pieces. Set aside.
- Cut tomatillos into quarters or eighths. Rinsing out the same food processor, combine ingredients for salsa: whole cherry tomatoes, lime juice, fresh cilantro (depending on how much flavor you want) and tomatillo pieces. Pulse until coarsely puréed, resembling the consistency of salsa.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil, garlic and salt pepper over medium heat. While heating, cut flank stead into strips. Add steak to hot oil and cooked to desired level of tenderness (i.e. rare, medium or well-done). Remove from heat and let the meat rest for about 5 min.
- Plate cauliflower rice and black beans. Top with steak strips. Spoon generous amounts of tomatillo salsa on top. Garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedges.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!