Open Faced BBQ Chicken Sandwich with an Apple Slaw (& Spicy Garlic Sweet Potato Fries). Try saying that title five times fast. I lightened up your traditional sandwich by making it oped faced and adding multigrain bread. Who has BBQ without fries or chips? Not me. I added some baked sweet potato fries tossed with garlic and spicy red pepper flakes. The apple slaw is worth trying alone. If you’re feeling particularly creative, I’d add some lemon zest to the slaw for that extra pop of flavor, which I did not do. but that’s why there’s next time . . . The slaw is light and fresh with a bit of crunch to balance the acidity and tanginess from the BBQ sauce. With sweet apples and fresh lemon juice, you won’t be able to take just one bite!
(I also found a little bit of Ithaca, NY in Beacon Hill with Ithaca Beer Company’s Apricot Wheat — a worthy complement for sweet and tangy BBQ.)
Ingredients (serves 4).
For the Slaw:
- 1 large apple, washed and thinly chopped (I used Gala apples)
- 2 c shredded carrots
- 4 celery stalks, washed and thinly chopped
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 T light olive oil
- 2 lemon wedges for fresh lemon juice
For the Sandwich:
- 4 pieces of multigrain bread (I used 2 multigrain sandwich thins, divided)
- 1 no salt added rotisserie chicken, meat picked off
- BBQ sauce of choice
For Sweet Potato Fries:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 t canola oil
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Grease a basking sheet.
- In a plastic ziplock bag, toss all ingredients for the fries. Evenly spread out potato fries on baking sheet and bake for 8-10 min. Flip fries over and bake for an additional 5-6 min.
- While fries are baking, combine all ingredients for the slaw in a large bowl and toss well until everything is coated.
- In a separate bowl, toss chicken meat and BBQ sauce of choice until chicken is coated. Spoon BBQ chicken over a toasted or untested multigrain bread.
- Plate the slaw on top of BBQ chicken or enjoy as a side.
- Serve with the spicy garlic fries.
- Eat hot and enjoy!