It’s rhubarb season, strawberry season AND hot summer days season. Normally I have the luxury of enjoying fresh rhubarb back home in Maine — straight out of the garden. Thank God Whole Foods in Boston delivered; you can buy individual stalks when in season. My mom and I originally found this strawberry-rhubarb compote recipe from Skinny Taste a couple summers ago. The tartness of the rhubarb is perfectly balanced with sweet and juicy strawberries to make a sauce. This time, I added in lemon zest and a juicy ripe peach. Layer over your favorite yogurt and granola for a Zesty Strawberry Rhubarb Compote Parfait — the perfect on-the-go breakfast! (Or hey — even dessert.)
Ingredients (makes 1 parfait).
For the Parfait:
- 1/2 c vanilla yogurt of choice, divided
- 2 T of granola of choice, divided (see idea below)
- 1 t chia seeds
- 1/2 c strawberry rhubarb compote (see below)
For the Zesty Compote: original recipe here
- 1 lb strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
- 3-4 large rhubarb stalks, washed and cut into about 1/4 inch chunks
- 1 T lemon zest
- 1 very ripe white peach, washed and diced
- 1 T water
- Agave nectar to taste (about 2-4 T)
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, combine strawberries, rhubarb, lemon zest, peach chunks, agave and water. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, allow compote to simmer over medium-low heat until the sauce has thickened. The rhubarb should no longer be “solid.”
- Remove compote from heat, cool, and add agave to taste.
- In a glass, bowl or mason jar, layer 1/4 c yogurt, 1 T granola, chia seeds and 1/4 c compote. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Zesty Compote adapted from my Strawberry Rhubarb Compote.
If you’d like to make your own Granola, try:
- Dark Chocolate Hazelnut Granola with Craisins
- White Peach & Pistachio Granola
- With the basic idea, try different spices, nuts and dried fruit add-ins!