Again, I’m experimenting with tofu. I’ve become a somewhat regular at a local Thai restaurant around the corner from me in Beacon Hill. Their tofu is perfectly crispy and golden. Granted, they’re probably deep-frying it to perfection, but that’s another story. However much I simply love this indulgence, I wanted to “clean up” their Pad See You.* Think wide rice noodles, golden tofu, bean sprouts and broccoli in a sweet but spicy Thai basil sauce. Using zucchini noodles or zoodles are the main staple, I added more vegetables and a lighter sauce — the Summer Vegetable Stir Fry with Crispy Tofu was born and it’s a summer keeper.
* Also called “Pad See Ew” or “Pad C U.”
Ingredients (serves 3).
- 1 medium zucchini, washed
- 1 red bell pepper, washed and cut into 1″ chunks
- 1 green bell pepper, washed and cut into 1″ chunks
- 1/2 package of frozen broccoli (fresh broccoli works too)
- 1/4 c fresh basil, chopped and loosely packed
- 1 container firm tofu, pressed/drained and cut into small chunks
- 4 T soy sauce
- 5 t light olive oil (or another neutral oil to fry)
- 1 t agave nectar
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Sea salt to taste
- Fresh basil to garnish
- In a large wok or frying pan (you may want sides), heat 3-4 t oil, 2 T soy sauce and 1/2 t agave nectar over medium-high heat. Once warm, add tofu and cook until sides are lightly fried. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, spiralize the zucchini. Add to another large saucepan or wok and heat with remaining canola oil, agave and soy sauce over medium-high heat.
- Add pepper chunks and frozen broccoli and sauté together with zucchini noodles. Add red pepper flakes and sea salt to taste and fold in fresh basil leaves.
- Once vegetables are soft and zucchini noodles are translucent, add tofu and cook for an additional 1-2 min.
- Serve on a large plate or in bowls. Garnish with fresh basil.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
3 thoughts on “Sizzling (Meatless) Summer Stir Fry”
I’m always looking meatless Monday and I love stir gets this is perfect. Thanks for sharing.