I don’t know what I just made, but this Power Breakfast Sandwich should be illegal. It’s been quite warm up my fourth floor apartment in Boston sans AC. For the breakfast, I’ve been sticking to things that are cool and no fuss — overnight oats, smoothies, yogurt parfaits or cereal. Lately, they haven’t been cutting it. I’ve been craving a breakfast sandwich. Not a usual ham, egg and cheese, but something downright different. Plus, I saw this mouthwatering avocado egg sandwich on Hungry Betches instagram account. (All of her food looks ridiculous — ridiculously tasty that is.) I knew I need avocado in this sandwich after seeing that. Sriracha sounded like a good pairing, and I have hummus begging to be used in my fridge. My mom got the idea of pairing hummus and eggs after making one of Giada De Laurentiis‘ veggie breakfast wraps with hummus and poached eggs. Toss in some spinach over a multigrain bagel, and an unlikely grouping of ingredients to make the best breakfast I’ve had in ages.
Ingredients (serves 1).
- 2 egg whites
- Handful baby spinach, chopped
- 1 multigrain bagel thin or bagel of choice
- 2 t hummus of choice (I used garlic chive from Whole Foods)
- 1/2 an avocado, sliced
- In a lightly greased, small frying pan over medium-high heat, cook egg whites and spinach as an omelet. Once cooked, removed from heat. Cut into fourths (it’s easier to stack!).
- Lightly toast bagel (optional). Evenly spread hummus on one half. Drizzle with sriracha.
- Stack egg white spinach omelet on other bagel half. Top with avocado slices.
- Mmmmm, enjoy!