Happy September!! I’m still in denial. It was just yesterday I was at a Third Eye Blind concert with my friend, Steph. It was mid-June and naturally we were complaining summer was “already gone” in that way you complain about how bad your hair looks when you know you look like a bombshell. Complaining to complain because we knew we had that reassurance of July’s and August’s hot and sunny days ahead. Now we have a right to actually complain since it’s literally September, but on the bright side, you know all know what that means — it’s oatmeal season!!! Who’s excited?! I woke up this morning to a cool enough breeze that I needed a long sleeve shirt to sip on my morning cup of pumpkin spice coffee. (If you can’t tell, I’m really embracing this weather change…) With zucchini season coming to a close now, it’s that late summer vegetable that you have so much you never know what to do with it. I decided Zucchini Bread Oatmeal would be the perfect outlet. You’d never know you’re consuming zucchini in this sweet breakfast of nutmeg and cinnamon, plump raisins and walnuts for texture.
Ingredients (serves 1).
- 1/2 c old-fashioned oats
- 2 t chia seeds (optional)
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1/8 t nutmeg
- Handful of raisins
- 1/4 c zucchini, grated
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk or milk of choice
- Fresh berries, such as blackberries
- Walnuts or nuts for topping (optional)
- Agave nectar or sweetener of choice (optional)
- Cinnamon sugar (optional)
- In a small food processor or Magic Bullet, pulverize oats, chia seeds (optional), nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Add grated zucchini, vanilla and almond milk to the food processor. Blend well. Before transferring to a bowl, stir in raisins.
- Transfer oatmeal mixture to a microwavable bowl. Microwave for 1 min and 30 sec at power-60. Remove and stir. If not fully cooked, continue cooking for an additional 30 sec on high. Fluff oatmeal with a fork (optional).
- Drizzle with agave nectar, sweetener of choice or with caramelized banana for a natural sweetener (directions for the banana here). Top with chopped walnuts and blackberries. If you want a “thinner” consistency, add more almond milk, milk of choice or even water.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!