This dish was bright. I’m not sure how else to describe accurately describe it, but I think bright has just the right connotation: vibrant, citrusy and light. With summer (quickly) coming to an end and late summer vegetables in abundance, I give you Summer Stir Fry. I was inspired to slice the ears of corn into medallions after seeing Martha do it. (Ms. Stewart and I are obviously on a first name basis.) Shrimp always seems to be a lighter option than chicken or steak and it’s a fun way to incorporate seafood. The summer veggies and shrimp were tossed with a lovely Garlic Scape Pesto in Curry from the Ithaca Farmer’s Market. Plate with baby spinach (and maybe some crusty bread and white wine) and bon appétit!
Ingredients (serves 4).
- 3 ears of corn, husked
- 3 t light olive oil, divided
- 1 red pepper, washed
- 1 zucchini, washed
- 1 summer squash, washed
- 1/2 of an onion
- 2-3 T curry garlic scape pesto *
- 16 oz. shrimp, rinsed, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 1 package baby spinach
- 2 lemon wedges
- Salt and pepper to taste
* NOTE: The lovely Six Circles Farm‘s Rosie’s Scape-a-Moli Garlic Scape Pesto in Curry was bought at the Ithaca Farmer’s Market. (Spicy and Original are also fantastic!) You could just go the fresh lemon juice, light olive oil and garlic route for flavor with a dash of yellow curry to taste instead. Basil pesto would also work quite well to keep things light and summery.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Once boiling, (carefully!) drop ears of corn into the water using tongs and continue to cook at a boil for 5-8 min or until tender and cooked. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, while the water heats and the corn cooks, chop up the vegetables. (I had fun with this — I sliced the zucchini into half circles, onions into chunks and the squash/peppers into strips. It doesn’t have to be perfect!) Heat 1 t oil in a large wok or frying pan over medium heat. Add vegetables and 1-2 T of curry garlic pesto. Sauté until tender and barely browned. Set vegetables aside.
- In the same pan, combine shrimp, 1 t oil and remaining curry garlic scape pesto. Cook shrimp until pink throughout, about 3-5 min per side.
- Slice the ears of corn into large chunks, about 5-6 pieces per ear. Toss vegetables and corn with the shrimp. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over everything. Mix well, evenly divide and plate. Dust with salt and pepper to taste.
- With the last teaspoon of oil, wilt baby spinach in the already used, hot wok or frying pan. Divide baby spinach per plate.