This soup smells heavenly. The fresh ginger, cinnamon, garlic, onion and cloves just have the right amount of flavor to offer. The garlic and ginger offer healthy digestion. The hardest part of this soup is the prep. There’s some chopping involved, but once completed, you literally dump everything into the pot and relax. The broth for this soup is originally from Giada DeLaurentiis‘ Giada’s Feel Good Food. Instead of straining the broth and reserving the liquid, I kept the soup as is, added everything I had on hand but the kitchen sink and enjoyed a piping cup of Giada’s Detox Soup.
Ingredients (serves 8).
For the Broth:
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 garlic cloves or equivalent minced garlic
- 8 whole sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1½” piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 8 whole black peppercorns
- 6 whole cloves
- 12 c water
- 1/2 onion, chopped into 1/2″ chunks
- 4 celery stalks, washed and chopped into 1/4″ pieces
- 2 c carrots, chopped
- 2 whole chicken breasts, diced
- Salt to taste
For the Soup:
- 1 c edamame, shelled
- 4 c curly kale, stalks removed and chopped (how to easily here)
- 1 sweet potato, chopped
- 2 c cauliflower
- In a large pot, combine all ingredients for the broth and the soup; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 min to 1 hour. (It’s ok if the chicken is raw prior. It will be poached and cooked through in the boiling water.)
If you just want the broth, strain the liquid, reserving the chicken and vegetables for another use or discard. Cool the broth and refrigerate for up to one week. You can also freeze for up to 1 month.
- For the soup, serve as is and enjoy!