This recipe is an oldie, but a goodie, and it’s too decadently delicious to not share again. Sometimes, we need a gentle reminder to resurrect the been-there-done-that recipes. This time, I substituted Whole Foods’ Unsweetened Almond Milk for half & half and I can honestly say that I hardly noticed the switch. Whole Foods’ version is much heavier, richer and less watered-down than its Silk or Almond Breeze counterparts. That’s just my take, but I’ve found Whole Foods’ almond milk to be a perfect substitute for cream or half & half. But back to the pumpkin sauce. The nutty, barely sweet and standalone flavor provided by the nutmeg is all you need — unless you’re like me and enjoy a kick, and the cayenne pepper does just that. This Creamy Pumpkin Sauce is rich, flavorful and the perfect fall dish.
Please Note: in no way was I endorsed by Whole Foods; I just quite enjoy their almond milk!
FOR THE PUMPKIN SAUCE (SERVES 4-6):
- 1/2 T light olive oil
- 1/2 c finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 c finely chopped shallot or onion
- 1 can (15 oz) pure pumpkin purée
- 1 cup unsweetened plain almond milk *
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1/8 t ground cayenne pepper or add to taste (optional)
- Sea salt to taste
* NOTE: the original recipe calls for 1/2 c of freshly shaved parmesan and 1 c heavy cream. I omitted both, but feel free to add them, one or the other and find your own variation.
SUGGESTED “PASTA” PAIRING:
- 1 c spaghetti squash (cook according to directions found here)
- Generous handfuls of baby spinach
- Generous handfuls of chopped curly kale, spines removed (how to easily here)
- Pumpkin seeds to top
- Grated Parmesan cheese to top (optional — not shown)
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add in chopped carrots and onion and cook until tender.
- Stir in pumpkin puree, almond milk, cayenne pepper and nutmeg. Stir constantly.
- Bring the pumpkin sauce to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Add sea salt to taste. Allow sauce to simmer for about 5 min to blend flavors. Optional: Thin with 1 T water if sauce is too thick.
- Sauté spaghetti squash, kale and spinach over medium heat until wilted.
- Spoon creamy pumpkin sauce over spaghetti squash, kale and spinach or over your desired “pasta” and/or sautéed vegetables. Top with pumpkin seeds and parmesan.
- Serve hot and enjoy!