This is my dad’s recipe. We had “Lightened Up” Cheesy Egg Bake for Christmas brunch along with our neighbor’s famous Christmas stollen (a German bread baked with dried fruit and nuts and then dusted with powdered sugar — it’s delicious) and fresh fruit. Cheesy Egg Bake is normally made with bread, full-fat pork breakfast sausage, heavy cream, eggs and cheese. We swapped bread for multigrain, cream for soy milk and pork sausage for the leaner turkey or chicken. It’s really quite easy to make and has many options to make your own. Toss in some veggies, swap eggs for egg whites, experiment with bread…the list goes on. Any way you try it, “Lightened Up” Cheesy Egg Bake is sure to please.
Ingredients (serves 6).
- 1 lb. lean turkey or chicken breakfast sausage
- 1 T mustard
- 6 pieces of multigrain bread
- 1 c swiss cheese, grated
- 3 eggs
- 1½ c soy milk or milk of choice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a large 9″ by 13″ baking pan.
- Brown the sausage according to directions. Drain and mix in mustard. Set aside.
- Line pan with pieces of multigrain bread. Evenly distribute sausage on top of bread. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Combine eggs and milk, mix well and pour over bread, sausage and cheese so everything is evenly coated.
- Bake for about 30 min or until everything is cooked through and firm.
- Let cool before serving.