I’ve been craving quesadillas lately. I’m not entirely sure what spawned this craving, but I’m going to blame the nachos I had last week. (I personally blame Nacho Mama for posting all of her mouthwatering nacho finds around the Boston area.) This craving could also be contributed to the fact that I made an impromptu quesadilla while in St. Thomas, complete with pinto beans in the cheesy inside and topped with freshly chopped lettuce and salsa. Man, did that hit the spot. Instead, I give you Black Bean Spinach Quesadilla with a crunchy outsides (thanks, skillet) and a gooey inside full of refried black beans, spinach and cheese. They’re lightened up with plain Greek yogurt for sour cream and corn tortillas for flour. Happy Meatless Monday!
Ingredients (serves 1).
- 1 large 9″ corn tortilla or tortilla of choice
- 1/3 c cheddar cheese or cheese of choice
- 1/4 c refried black beans *
- 2 T red bell peppers, chopped
- 8-10 baby spinach leaves, thinly chopped
- 1/4 an avocado, sliced
- 1-2 T plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 c medium salsa
* NOTE: feel free to swap in chicken, turkey, lean beef or pork for a carnivore version. I made this for Meatless Monday. I would add the same spices you use to make chili to add more flavor when cooking the meat.
- In a large greased pan or skillet, heat until hot over medium heat.
- Once hot, place tortilla and evenly distribute with cheese. On one half, evenly spread refried beans, peppers and spinach. Garnish with fresh lime juice.
- When cheese melts, fold the cheese half onto the half with the beans and veggies. Then, press down with a spatula for a few seconds to ensure melting.
- After a few minutes, remove quesadilla from heat when beginning to brown and cut into pieces.
- Plate with Greek yogurt, salsa of choice and avocado slices.