I went to Chicago last week to visit a nursing school and family and my cousin, Betsy, made a delectable Oatmeal Bake for breakfast with the challenge to lighten it up. Challenge accepted. Before I digress, I met the best playdates in Chicago and Luca even let me help him make a (Play-Doh) pizza. Arie is adorable as ever and Betsy and Andriy were gracious hosts. I also really liked Rush and seems like it could be a contender for grad school, but Boston and Philly are still looking strong. . . Now, back to the challenge. Eggs for egg whites, oil for mashed banana, milk for unsweetened almond milk and sugar for caramelized bananas (see the trick here), agave nectar and Aloha’s coconut powder, a natural sweetener. Done. Next challenge?
Ingredients (serves 8).
For the Oatmeal:
- 3 c old-fashioned oats
- 1 t cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 t baking powder
- 2 T Aloha coconut (natural sweetener)
- 1 T light agave nectar (optional if you want a sweeter version)
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1 c unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- 2 egg whites
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Fresh berries, citrus, fruit
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Chopped nuts
- 1 T nonfat plain Greek yogurt (per serving)
- Cinnamon sugar
- Maple syrup
- Chia seeds
- Dried fruit
- Citrus zest
- Nut butter
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease an 8″ or 9″ baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix oats, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and coconut.
- In a microwavable bowl, place mashed banana in microwave and microwave on high for 30 sec or until banana is melted, gooey or caramelized.
- In a medium bowl, whisk almond milk, vanilla and egg whites. Mix in mashed banana. Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients and transfer to greased pan.
- Bake 10-12 min or until set and firm.
- Let cool before serving. Top with fresh fruit, nuts, Greek yogurt and coconut.
Recipe adapted from my cousin, Betsy‘s recipe.
My version of Oatmeal Bake topped with plain Greek yogurt, chopped pecans, frozen raspberries, fresh blueberries, unsweetened coconut flakes and cinnamon sugar.
Betsy’s version when I was visiting in Chicago. Topped with fresh strawberries & raspberries, coconut flakes, chopped walnuts and plain Greek yogurt :)