I stumbled upon this recipe for Buffalo Chicken Meatballs as a Super Bowl appetizer, but then was too busy with my micro homework to make this in time. If it can’t be an app, then a salad sounded light but also hearty and satisfying. I really like Skinny Taste and her healthy twists on classic and popular dishes. Naturally, she had a “Skinny” Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing to accompany. What pairs well with blue cheese dressing? Celery, carrots, cucumbers and avocado — toss that into the salad. Inspired by my Bang Bang Cauliflower, Buffalo Cauliflower Bites sounded like a natural addition to the metals. It all comes together even better than imagined. I had my coworkers jealous of my lunch. Seriously, Chris wanted to steal it. Get yours jealous too with the Buffalo Chicken Salad.
Ingredients (makes 4 salads with dressing w/ meatballs to spare).
For the Buffalo Chicken Meatballs (makes 16-18 meatballs):
- 1 lb lean ground chicken
- 1/8 c panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 c onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 c celery, finely chopped
- 1/3 c carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 t minced garlic
- Dash of sea salt
- 1/4 c hot sauce
For the Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing (makes 1 c):
- 3/4 c fat free plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 1½ T white vinegar
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- 1/2 c blue cheese crumbles
For the Salad (serves 4):
- 1 c cauliflower, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 12-14 large leaves Tuscan kale, chopped (how to easily remove spines here) **
- 2-3 c baby spinach, chopped
- 1/3 c celery, chopped
- 1/3 c carrots, chopped
- 1 avocado, cubed
- About 16 thick cucumber slices
- Blue cheese crumbles to garnish (optional)
- 4 T Skinny Blue Cheese Dressing, divided
- 12 Buffalo chicken meatballs
** NOTE: I also made this with a mix of chopped iceberg/romaine lettuce and spinach and it was definitely preferred. Since kale is pictured and how I originally made the salad, it’s what’s listed. The iceburg/romaine gave the salad a lighter crunch and flavor, but the Greek yogurt blue cheese dressing pairs well with either.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly grease.
- For the meatballs, combine ground chicken through salt in a large bowl. Mix well using clean hands until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Roll into about 1½” balls. The meatballs may be really sticky, but that’s ok! Place meatballs evenly spaced on greased baking sheet.
- Toss cauliflower pieces in empty space on baking sheet as well. Bake meatballs and cauliflower for 10 min, flip both to browned side if facing down and bake another 5 min or until cooked through.
- Once cooked, gently toss cauliflower and cooked meatballs with hot sauce until evenly coated. NOTE: I kept some plain meatballs aside to have with spaghetti squash or whatever you want to add them to.
- For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a Magic bullet. Blend well. Set aside.
- While the meatballs are baking, plate the salad; first add kale and spinach (or sub chopped romaine/iceburg combination for kale). Then, top with cucumber slices, avocado, carrots and celery. Add 3 buffalo meatballs per salad and 1/4 c buffalo cauliflower. Top with 1 T blue cheese dressing (per salad) and garnish with extra blue cheese crumbles (optional).
- Dig in and enjoy!
Adapted from Skinny Taste‘s Buffalo Chicken Meatballs & Low Fat Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing.