Sriracha Beef Cabbage Bowls for the winnnnnn! I’m trying to make bowl salads or salad like dishes since I’ve become bored from the same old same old. Don’t get me wrong. Certain salads become classics and a staple for a reason, but you need some variety every now and then. Plus, this cabbage bowl is so colorful, it’s hard to resist not diving in fork first. I also never seem to buy beef. Not sure why, but maybe it’s a price thing, but I found some 90% lean beef at Roche Brothers and it was a sign. Literally a sign I needed to test out these cabbage bowls. SO GOOD. I tossed in my own fresh herbs, fresh ginger and hoisin sauce for flavor. Somehow these bad boys are both filling and light all at once and I’m definitely adding these ingredients to my grocery list to make them again.
Ingredients (serves 4).
For the Beef:
- 1 t coconut oil
- 1″ piece of ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 lb lean beef (I used 90% lean)*
- 1/4 c water
- 1/8 c hoisin sauce (may need to add another T to taste)
- Sriracha to taste
- Fresh lime juice from 1/2 lime
- Lime zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 c fresh basil, finely chopped
* I’ve also used chicken. Simply season chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder and bake at 375ºF until cooked through. Shred using two forks. Still combine with all ingredients for bowl, but simmer to allow flavors to mesh.
For the Salad:
- 1 package fresh coleslaw mix (I used a mixture of green/purple cabbage with carrots)
- 1 c sugar snap peas, sliced at an angle
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 c edamame, cooked
- Cilantro to garnish
- Lime wedges
- Extra sriracha to taste (optional!)
- In a large skillet or pan, sauté oil, fresh ginger, garlic and scallions over medium high heat. After a few minutes, fold in beef, water and hoisin sauce. Cook until beef is browned and fully cooked through.
- To the cooked beef, add in the ingredients of sriracha through fresh basil. Mix well and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl or plate, divide coleslaw mix. Top with beef, peppers, snap peas and edamame.
- Garnish with a lime wedge, fresh cilantro and extra sriracha (optional).
Adapted from Kalyn’s Kitchen “Sriracha Beef Cabbage Bowl.”