I thought it was strange to put ground cinnamon and vanilla extract in smoothie, but Real Simple must be doing something right. Sorry I ever doubted you, RS. Both enhanced the natural tart sweetness of the raspberries. I tried this two ways: first, as a bowl (hence the Raspberry Kiwi Smoothie Bowl) and secondly, as a smoothie. I followed the smoothie recipe twice more and added some protein powder for a heartier breakfast the next few mornings. Stored the pre-made smoothies in Mason jars and I have breakfast on the go. Not only tasty, but the color is gorgeous! The smoothie bowl was the perfect under-the-weather treat.
Ingredients (serves 1).
For the Smoothie:
- 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 t vanilla extract
- 1 banana
- 1/2 c frozen raspberries
- 3-4 frozen strawberries
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- Vanilla protein powder like Aloha’s plant-based powder (optional)
For the Bowl:
- 1 kiwi, skinned and sliced
- 1/2 to 1 t chia seeds
- 2 t unsweetened coconut flakes
- In blender, combine all ingredients for the smoothie; it helps to add the liquid ingredients first. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and garnish with toppings or serve as a glass.
Adapted from Real Simple‘s “Raspberry Smoothie Bowl.”