It’s almost summer and I’ve been procrastinating writing these parts a wee bit — the descriptions. I made this Spring Veggie Quiche a handful of times during May. I like making quiche crustless unless I’ll be able to consume it in all its glory within a day or two before the crust soggily breaks down. Making the quiche crustless results more like a large omelet, but it retains all of the flavor. Asparagus, zucchini, squash and tomatoes are abundant in the summer and spring. Roasting the veggies enhances all of their natural flavors to be juicy and tender. Tossing them into a quiche with sharp and pungent parmesan only makes things better.
Ingredients (serves 4-6).
For the Roasted Veggies:
- 1 bunch asparagus, “snapped” (see directions below)
- 1 package cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow summer squashed, thinly sliced
- 1 T canola oil
- 1½ t garlic power
For the Quiche:
- 4 eggs
- 1 c unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- 2 c roasted spring veggies, heaping
- 2 c baby spinach
- 1 t oil
- 1/3 c shredded parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly grease with cooking spray.
- To snap asparagus, hold both ends and gently bend the stalk until it snaps. Discard the bottom end and keep the spear. (This just removes the tough portion.) Cut spears into 1 inch pieces.
- In a sealable ziplock bag, add all ingredients, seal bag and toss until veggies are well coated. Pour veggies onto baking sheet and evenly spread out
- Roast for 10 min. Remove pan form heat and toss veggies. Continue roasting for another 8-10 min. until veggies are tender and cooked through.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a pie pan with cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add baby spinach and sauté until wilted. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together eggs and almond milk. Either grate parmesan cheese or add 1/2 c already shredded cheese to the egg mixture. Add salt and pepper.
- Stir in sautéed spinach and roasted vegetables. Mix until all vegetables are evenly coated by the eggs. Pour mixture into greased pie pan. Cook for 25-30 min or until the edges begin to lightly brown.
- Let cool before serving and enjoy!
Like quiche? Try my others: