Mmmmm, French toast. I don’t know the last time I had French toast. I’ve been a bit tired of omelets, quiche, avocado toast, smoothies, overnight oats…you know the drill, so I tried my hand at Multigrain French Toast with Mixed Berries. I swapped in multigrain bread, egg whites and almond milk. The multigrain bread added a gnarly texture. Top with an easy berry sauce, maple syrup and powdered sugar. Great and easy brunch!
Ingredients (serves 4).
For the Toast:
- 8 pieces multigrain bread
- 2 egg whites
- 1 c unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1 c frozen fruit (like blueberries, raspberries & mango) *
- maple syrup
- powdered sugar
* NOTE: Using frozen berries as a quick sauce is the fastest way. Otherwise try one of these berries sauces:
- Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Dip bread in egg milk mixture until evenly coated. Leave bread in mixture for about 30 seconds. This will allow the toast to better brown.
- Heat a greased large frying pan or skillet over medium high. Add soaked bread. Flip to prevent burning and remove from heat when toast has browned.
- While toast browns, add berries to a microwavable bowl and thaw berries on low power in microwave for 1 min. Stir and until berries are thawed. Once thawed, heat on high heat for an additional minute so berries form a sauce.
- Spoon berries over french toast. Drizzle with maple syrup and dust with powdered sugar. Serve warm.