Summer’s officially here! Sadly, my apartment lacks a grill, but I was inspired by a recipe in Cooking Light for a charred Brussels sprouts, radish and apple salad. Why not char some pineapples and peppers to give the feeling of grilled summer kabobs? It’s fresh, easy and simple — my kind of style. I went to Martha’s Vineyard to do a home visit for work since we visit participants in their homes for healthy aging and longevity research. As we killed time for our ferry back to Boston, we feasted on our lunches. How picturesque — eating Charred Bell Pepper & Pineapple Quinoa Salad by the water. Happy meatless Monday!
Ingredients (serves 4).
- 2 c pineapple chunks
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 c quinoa, dry
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Salt to taste
- Set oven to broil on high. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly grease.
- Place pineapple and peppers on baking sheet, evenly spaced. Broil pineapple and veggies on high for about 8-10 min. Flip veggies and continue broiling until charred and tender.
- Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to package directions. Once done, fluff with a fork and let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine charred veggies/pineapple, quinoa and remaining ingredients.
- Season with salt and red pepper flakes to taste.