Happy Meatless Monday! Here’s a breakfast to satisfy all of your cravings: Cilantro Sweet Potato Hash. Brunch might be my favorite meal; it can be sweet and savory, hearty or light, multi-dish or simplistically plated — there’s just so many possibilities. A few weeks ago, I had a sweet potato bison (yes, bison) hash for brunch in Boston. It was sweet and savory, but also totally decadent and fatty. I wanted to recreate a hash in a nontraditional and also a faster way. Microwaving the sweet potato is much faster than roasting in the oven and the sweet potato still ends up deliciously browned with the onions. Instead of baking the egg directly in the hash, fry it separately and top the hash. All in all, you have a healthy, colorfully tasty and aesthetically pleasing breakfast that comes together in about 10 min. Enjoy!
Ingredients (serves 2).
- 2 t olive oil
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 1 sweet potato, scrubbed
- 3-4 c baby spinach
- 2 eggs
- Fresh cilantro to garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pierce sweet potato all over with a fork. Place on microwaveable plate and microwave on high for 3-4 min. Flip and cook an additional 2-3 min or until tender. Leaving the skin on, cut into small cubes. Set aside.
- While the potato cooks, slice the onion into half moons and then cut those pieces in half. The slices should look like long strips.
- Heat olive oil and garlic over medium heat in a large frying pan or skillet. Once hot, add onions and cook until translucent and tender. and barely browned
- Stir sweet potato cubes and cook for 2-3 min. Mix in baby spinach and sauté until baby spinach is wilted. Remove hash from heat and divide between two plates.
- Using the same pan, re-grease and fry two eggs over easy, about 2-3 min until the egg whites set and become solid and the yolk is still runny. Optional: flip the egg and remove from heat. This will allow the egg whites to fully solidify in the hot pan, seal in the yolk, while also keeping the yolk runny. You can also cover the pan and let the steam to the same thing. Plate eggs over sweet potato hash.
- Top with fresh cilantro, salt and pepper.