I’m coming out of a hiatus! With my full-time job wrapped up and my fun-employment commencing, i.e. taking care of business for the month for August before my nursing program begins, I’m finally writing these joyful introductions for my blog posts — like this one for a BBQ Chicken Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing. After a trip home to Maine and a stop at Stonewall Kitchen in Portland, I picked up their Honey Sriracha Barbecue Sauce in anticipation of making a BBQ chicken salad. The BBQ sauce is packed with heat and subtly sweet. The dressing was inspired by a local Mexican restaurant and was the perfect combo of light and fresh to complement the BBQ flavor. Say hello to your new favorite summer salad.
For the Dressing (makes about ten 1 T servings):
- 1/2 c cilantro leaves, packed
- 1/4 c light olive oil
- 1½ limes, juiced
- 1/4 t agave nectar or to taste
- Salt to taste
- Red pepper flakes to taste
For the Salad (serves 1):
- 2 c red lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1 c iceberg lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1/3 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 c bell pepper, chopped
- Handful shredded carrots
- 3/4 c rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1-2 T BBQ sauce of choice like Stonewall Kitchen‘s Honey Sriracha Barbecue Sauce
- 1 to 1½ T cilantro lime dressing
- In a small blender or food processor, combine all ingredients for dressing. Blend well until smooth.
- In a bowl, add lettuce mix and top with peppers, avocado and carrots.
- Meanwhile, mix BBQ sauce with chicken and once well coated, add to salad.
- Top with 1 T dressing and toss salad.
Shown with Oven-Roasted Corn on the Cob.