It’s only mid-August, so naturally I’m still on a BBQ kick. Remember that Stonewall Kitchen Honey Sriracha Barbecue Sauce that I picked up after a trip home to Maine? It’s baaaaaack. The sauce is packed with heat and subtly sweet — the perfect pairing with sweet potatoes, right? Sweet potato skins that is. Caramelized onions, tangy BBQ, fresh cilantro are all wrapped into BBQ Chicken Sweet Potato Skins. Like the Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats, I lightened up the recipe by adding cauliflower and baby spinach and reducing the cheese. I also have big plans for the scooped out inside of sweet potatoes — I think a sweet potato pizza crust may be in the future. . .
Ingredients (makes 6 potato skins; serving 1-2 skins).
- 3 medium to large sweet potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 t olive oil
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1½ c chicken, cooked and shredded
- 2 c frozen cauliflower, thawed and chopped
- 1 c baby spinach, chiffonade (cut into thin strips)
- 1/4 to 1/3 c BBQ sauce of choice (I used Stonewall Kitchen‘s Honey Sriracha Barbecue Sauce)
- 6 T shredded mozzarella cheese *
- Fresh cilantro to garnish, washed and torn
* NOTE: the cheese helped to bind the ingredients together, but if I make these again, I would forgo the mozzarella. The flavor was just as good without.
- Preheat oven to broil on high. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a skillet or frying pan, heat oil over medium heat and add onions. Sauté onions until tender and caramelized, about 10 min. Once done, remove from heat.
- While the onions caramelize, pierce sweet potatoes all over with a fork. Place on microwaveable plate and microwave on high for 3-4 min. Flip and cook an additional 2-3 min or until tender and cooked through. Allow to cool.
- When potatoes are cool enough to touch, halve potatoes lengthwise and scoop out the middle of the potato so a “boat” forms and , but be carefully not to pierce or tear the skin! Line each hollowed skin on the baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, add shredded chicken, cauliflower and spinach to large bowl. Add BBQ sauce and toss until chicken and veggies are evenly coated.
- Spoon BBQ mixture into each skin. Top with caramelized onions and sprinkle 1 T mozzarella cheese per potato half.
- Broil skins for 3-5 min or until cheese melts. Remove from oven.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
Adapted from Destination Delish‘s “BBQ Chicken Sweet Potato Skins.”