Remember I promised a sweet potato crust in the near future? Well, it happened. Better than expected actually. This is most definitely a keeper. Thanks to Popsugar Fitness, the crust is essentially two ingredients: mashed sweet potato and almond flour (and baking soda if we’re getting technical). Turkey bacon adds that amazing smoky, salty and savory flavor with less calories than traditional bacon. To be a true breakfast pizza, the eggs were baked to perfection. The only downside of this recipe is the double baking to cook the eggs, which caused the crust’s edge to just burn in some places. All in all, this sweet potato crust is still pure perfection. Combine this crust with wanting to make a breakfast pizza and you have the perfect storm for brunch. Now I have a winning brunch line up — my quiche * along side this Sweet Potato Crust Breakfast Pizza.
* Looking for quiche recipes? Try these:
- Crustless Kale Egg White Quiche with Turkey Bacon
- Sage, Kale & Caramelized Onion Quiche
- Spring Vegetable Quiche
Ingredients (serves 2-3).
For the Crust:
- 1 c mashed sweet potato (about 2-3 medium potatoes) *
- 1 c almond flour
- 1 t baking soda
For the Pizza:
- 1/3 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 c baby spinach, thinly chopped
- 2-3 large cherry tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 2 slices turkey bacon, cooked and chopped into bits
- 2 eggs
* NOTE: I used the sweet potato insides left over from my BBQ Chicken Sweet Potato Skins. However, if you need to cook the sweet potatoes, see instructions below:
Pierce potatoes all over with a fork. Place on microwaveable plate and microwave on high for 3-4 min. Flip and cook an additional 2-3 min or until tender and cooked through and you can easily pierce with a knife. Allow potatoes to cool. When cool enough to touch, halve potatoes lengthwise and scoop out the middle of the potato to remove the insides to mash so just the skins are left.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat. (You can also use parchment paper.)
- Combine all ingredients for the crust in a large bowl. Mash well with a fork to mix. When ingredients are mostly combined, knead with clean hands until a large ball of dough forms.
- On lined baking sheet, press dough out into a large circle until dough is about 1/2″ thick. Bake for 10 min. before crust’s edges brown; remove from heat. You’ll complete the baking when you cook the eggs/toppings.
- Add half of the cheese, then the spinach and tomatoes to the crust. Carefully crack eggs. (You can add more or less eggs depending on how large your crust is.) Top pizza and eggs with turkey bacon and remaining cheese.
- Bake pizza for an additional 10-15 min. The eggs will be over medium after 15 min. Be careful to not allow the edges of the crust to burn!
- Remove the pizza from the oven. Carefully transfer to a cutting board and cut into wedges.
Crust from Lizzie Fuhr‘s “Sweet Potato Crust Pizza” for POPSUGAR Fitness.