Happy first day of fall, y’all! Naturally I have to kick off fall with all things pumpkin. You knew it was coming — it’s that time of year. I tweaked my recipe for Oatmeal Bake and concocted this Pumpkin Oatmeal Bake as an easy breakfast and as an early celebration. Plus, it’s so easy to pop a square into a mason jar, add toppings and you have breakfast on the go. My posts may be a bit sporadic because I have my first med surg exam tomorrow and NP school is kicking into high gear. Nevertheless, I forget to keep the healthy recipes coming. Hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
Ingredients (serves 6-8).
FOR THE OATMEAL:
- 3 c old-fashioned oats
- 1 t pumpkin spice
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 t baking powder
- 1 T light agave nectar (optional if you want a sweeter version)
- 1 small-medium banana, mashed
- 1 c pumpkin purée
- 1 c unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- 2 egg whites
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Fresh berries, citrus, fruit
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Chopped nuts
- 1 T nonfat plain Greek yogurt (per serving)
- Cinnamon sugar
- Maple syrup
- Chia seeds
- Dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease an 8×8″ or 9×9″ baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix oats, pumpkin spice, salt, and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, whisk almond milk, vanilla and egg whites. Mix in mashed banana and pumpkin purée.
- Pour liquid ingredients over dry ingredients, mix well and transfer to greased pan.
- Bake 12-15 min or until set and firm.
- Let cool before serving. Top with fresh blueberries, chopped pecans, a spoonful of Greek yogurt and dust with cinnamon sugar.
- I mixed 1 T of pumpkin purée with 1/4 c vanilla yogurt -OR- plain Greek yogurt (and you can add in some sweetener if needed). You can also just top with yogurt if that’s what you’re feeling or omit the yogurt altogether.
Adapted from my recipe for Oatmeal Bake.