Happy meatless Monday! I’ve been a little absent with school this past semester. Since we have one less class and one less clinical day, I hope to get more things written up and posted that I’ve already added to Instagram. To kick things off, here’s Vegetarian Sweet Potato “Spaghetti” using sweet potato noodles as the base. What an easy meal to whip together — sauté some veggies, open a can of beans, toss in the noodles and top with sauce. Now that I have a heartier spiralizer (thanks to the Inspiralizer from William Sonoma), I can’t wait to try making these at home!
Ingredients (serves 4).
- 2 t olive oil
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 ½ c cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2-3 c baby spinach
- 1 package spiralized sweet potatoes from Whole Foods, found here *
- 1 can (13.5 oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Tomato sauce of choice
- Red pepper flakes to garnish (optional)
- Parmesan cheese to garnish (optional if not vegan)
* Note: you can also use your own spiralizer to make noodles. My handheld one is not strong enough for root vegetables.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat oil and garlic over medium heat. Once oil just becomes hot, add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Mix in tomatoes and zucchini and sauté until browned.
- Toss in sweet potato noodles and until tender and al dente.
- Fold in spinach and beans. Once spinach is wilted, stir in tomato sauce.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly before serving. Top with red pepper flakes and parm.